This Isn't a Democracy, aka Choice is But an Illusion  

I thought long and hard on it, and after 20 intense seconds of deliberation I decided on a less complicated route for choosing the theme of October's 30-day challenge. There are really only three points worth your consideration about this one-time adjustment to the normal way of doing things:
  1. I will be not be posting a poll for you to vote on.
  2. In fact, I have already selected the daily cartoon/diagram as October's challenge.
  3. You guys were the complicated part.
OK, OK, I realize that #3 may sound a bit harsh, but that's only because you're taking it personally. What you fail to realize (since I've yet to tell you) is that this has less to do with me caring about your opinions than it does the two or three sneaky motherfuckers who like to stack the poll with multiple votes for whatever option will make my life the most miserable. You know who you are, and I wish you nothing but a life of ugly puppies and orange Starburst. Besides, the majority of comments I received on this post seemed to be in favor of the daily cartoon option (see lurkers, it pays to be active).

Regarding the challenge itself, the rules are pretty simple and straightforward this time around. Each day in the month of October I'll post an original cartoon for your collective enjoyment, with the lofty hope of not sucking my way through the whole thing (TWSS). All cartoons will be of my own creation, and might also include diagrams, graphs, or stick figures with celebrity heads pasted onto them for relevance. Meaning so long as I create it in MS Paint or by my own hand, game on bitches. As it turns out, the only semi-confusing part will be why I persist in calling it a 30-day challenge when there are actually 31 days in October.

It's probably important to mention that all creations must come into existence no more than two days prior to their posting, so I'm not giving myself time to create some massive war chest of poorly-traced Far Side panels here. Which also means that I might as well share the following from my book of scribbles since they're null and void as far as next month is concerned; consider this a teaser for what will undoubtedly be another long, long month:

(Click on image to jumbo-size it)




Bookmark and Share

10 Reasons to Live

  • Christie  
    September 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM

    Correction: Yellow Starbursts are the worst.

  • shine  
    September 21, 2009 at 2:38 PM

    I actually like orange Starburst.

    Um. Yeah.

    And thank you for not vlogging. The world thanks you.

  • Graygrrrl  
    September 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM

    Orange starburst are indeed the devil, sorry Shine! You gotta adjust your thinking. Cannot wait for this "Demetri Martin" style experiment to begin.

  • Ed Adams  
    September 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM

    Stay away from my ninja cartoons, bitch.

  • Jenn  
    September 22, 2009 at 7:36 AM

    There's no such thing as an ugly puppy and I love orange starburst. The red ones are the worst. Ick.

  • Monkey Girl  
    September 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM

    Geez, I feel like I've been robbed of my freedom.

    I never voted more than once or twice.

    If you're going to chicken out and do a daily cartoon/diagram, I expect to see shading and detail in your stick figures.

    I agree w/Christie yellow starbursts are the worst.

  • GingerMandy  
    September 22, 2009 at 11:16 AM

    the first thing i thought to tell you was that yellow starbursts are the worst, but someone beat me to it. the orange are good when mashed with a pink one.

    and why are you being thanked for not vlogging? do it.

  • Jay Ferris  
    September 22, 2009 at 11:30 AM

    Christie - Correction: you are wrong.

    Shine - I was hoping that a fellow Texan would help me out on this one. How wrong that turned out to be.

    Graygrrrl - I knew there was a reason I was e-stalking you.

    Ed - Your ninja cartoons had best watch their backs.

    Jenn - I've seen evil unicorns and puritanical sorority girls in my time, so I have little doubt of the existence of ugly puppies. They're likely hiding out in Russia somewhere.

    Monkey - Another traitor to the cause. So noted.

    Ginger - Why you gotta be a lemon-hater? I did vlog once before, and it wouldn't be hard to outdo that pathetic attempt, so I may give it another try again someday. Just not for 30 days in a row.

  • BatSpit  
    September 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM

    i'd trade all my red, blue and yellow for one orange piece of starburst... and ugly puppies are kind of cute, in a way...

    So you're wishing those who have irritated you a life full of cuteness and candy?

    I can deal with that. Remind me I want to irritate you.

  • Jules  
    September 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM

    Come on - If you have OCD, there's no way in HELL you're getting Swine Flu!!

Post a Comment