Daily Chick Flick: Center Stage  

I've been horrendously sick for the past 24 hours, so watching another insane girly movie had suddenly found a way to hold even less appeal for me. All that time spent staring into the toilet was really about the extent of what I could take.

But I did it. Against my better judgment, I watched Center Stage while already very nauseous. Much like the previously reviewed Stick It, Center Stage is another micro-niche poppy-bubbly teen empowerment film. The main difference between the two is that Stick It focused its cliches on never ending cheesy montages, while today's movie was more about the impressive lineup of cliched characters. There's the naive new girl, the bad girl, that gay guy, the cocky one, the overbearing mother, and the list literally could go on and on. It's like they borrowed from the Saved by the Bell or any current Disney Channel show roster.

As with any of these movies, the premise remains the same. To be hot, successful, break all the rules, and maybe -- just maybe -- grow up a little along the way. Spare me. Any conceivable plot they could have put in front of these crappy actors wouldn't have been able to supersede their dancing ability, so why would anyone even care about that part in the first place? Wouldn't it be easier to go and rent the video of a real ballet performance? That way you could also focus on more credible dance movies, such as You Got Served.

This review was admittedly weak, a trait shared by both the movie it was about, and my stomach for the moment. At least my sickness is affecting such a low potential review, because there's little I could say to sway you in one direction or the other on this movie. It's one of those that the only reason you'd watch it is if you are really into that kind of thing, in which case you are likely a 13 year old girl. Who would hopefully never read this blog, as I often say things like "shit-faced ballsucker" for no good reason. 4 pink tacos for Center Stage, and many more glasses of warm ginger ale for me.

Bookmark and Share

10 Reasons to Live

  • hotpants™  
    May 13, 2009 at 6:41 AM

    You need to go back to the list of movie suggestions your readers gave you. You are watching the world's worst movies.

  • Diane  
    May 13, 2009 at 6:42 AM

    Hope you're back on your feet, soon. How did you find this one?

  • McLean  
    May 13, 2009 at 7:20 AM

    The internet is somehow less without you buddy...

  • shine  
    May 13, 2009 at 8:13 AM

    Um, okay...I actually...own this movie. Ahem.

    But I know it's bad. Terrible, even. I have so much love for the scene when that stupid bitch main character brings the cocky asshole guy dessert "for next time." And then thinks he's her boyfriend because they had the sex that one time. It's so sad and awkward. And not just because of the horrible acting.

    Now I'm going to go crawl under my couch and hide.

  • Jesslyn  
    May 13, 2009 at 9:21 AM

    Huh? I've never even *heard* of this movie...

  • The Polka Dotted Owl  
    May 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM

    they all look so gay in that picture. i did like stick it. go figure. jeez i feel so inferior and small when i read your damn blog!!

    hope you are feeling better!!!

  • Kelly  
    May 13, 2009 at 9:59 AM

    Who the hell gave it two thumbs up? Those guys are whores.

  • Shannon  
    May 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM

    How did I miss this one? Hope you're feeling better!

  • Juice  
    May 17, 2009 at 5:03 PM

    Ouch, what a sucky movie to have to endure. Did you ever see never back down? It came out with step up 2, followed the exact same story but instead of contempory dancing they mixed it up a little and made it about corrographed fight dancing. At best guess it's so they could show the same show to thirteen year old boys.

    Peace out dude. This 30 day challange is insane.

  • jb  
    May 20, 2009 at 7:30 PM

    Pure dancing shit......I lasted 25 minutes before I made my sister pull this out of the DVD player...shit. Jay how did you manage to actually watch this is beyond me.....your the man.

    Huggs
    JB

    I thought it was time to send you a hug,....lolollllloo

Post a Comment