30 Days at a Time, Part Two  

For those of you who didn't lose the month of October to a rampant drinking binge, you might recall the little project I had wherein I vowed to blog every day for 30 days. All in all, I think I can liberally say that it was about 90% successful. Far more successful than the recreation of Oprah giving birth to Dr. Phil that was crafted in my garage entirely out of assorted deli meats. Let's just say that my neighborhood is home to a lot of very persistent cats.

What I'm looking at now is where to go with this next. There's no way in hell I'm interesting enough on my own to blog daily for another 30 day stretch. However, if I were to take on some kind of 30 day challenge, that would in theory give me something to blog about. It doesn't even necessarily have to be the main focal point of all my posts; just something to keep things engaging. With that in mind, here are a few of the ideas I am currently chewing on:
  • Daily photo. Of what though? Myself, my family, random strangers...
  • No processed sugar
  • Go vegetarian
  • Stop wearing underwear
  • Exercise daily
  • Daily Haiku
  • Masturbate NO MORE than once a day
  • No television
  • Eat my exact recommended caloric requirement
  • No more than 4 hours of sleep/day
  • No less than 8 hours of sleep/day
  • Read War and Peace
  • Some kind of fast?
  • Post something of mine for sale on craigslist every day
  • Buy a lottery ticket every day
OK, so I wasn't really mentally chewing on all these things; new ones just started to flow after typing the first few. And I imagine that some of you out there can do way better than this, so add your comments with something fresh, or in support of an idea listed above. Then there's the third option -- be a complete ass and give me no useful input whatsoever -- which I'm guessing most of you will take. However, if you choose to add something of value, try to keep in mind the following:
  • I don't have a lot of money
  • I do have a full-time job (meaning no "be homeless for a month" stuff)
  • I'd rather not endanger my life
And... discuss.

Bookmark and Share

16 Reasons to Live

  • the projectivist  
    December 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM

    oh this is good
    SO good!
    and although i'm tempted to leap in with
    NO masturbation for 30 days
    (oh the agony!)
    i'm thinking about suggesting something like that post i did about 'Yes Man'.
    did you see that post?
    it would mean you'd have to say 'Yes' to anything for 30 days!
    short of losing limbs or gay sex (if you weren't into that)

    how are you going to choose?
    have you got one of those randomiser robot things?

  • Megkathleen  
    December 10, 2008 at 2:07 PM

    I'm tempted to go with 4 hours of sleep/day just for the entertainment factor...although I think that would be just pure torture. So I think my vote is for an item on craigslist every day - I think there's potential for entertainment there.

  • FilmFemme  
    December 10, 2008 at 3:41 PM

    Hm. I was thinking of being vegan for January, just for fun. Or being sober (the opposite of fun). Anyway, if you go vegetarian I'll do it with you, meaning I'll pretend I'm doing it and cheat right away.

  • Christie  
    December 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM

    I totally veto the 4 hours of sleep/day. I have to live with you, and I cannot handle "very tired, very cranky, very assholey Jay". If you do, however, go with that one, I would like to add no sex for 30 days. Because that is called payback for being "very tired, very cranky, very assholey Jay".

  • Jay  
    December 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM

    Projectivist - I think the "Yes Man" idea is great, and if the movie wasn't dropping at the end of this month I would really consider it. As for deciding, I planted this seed early enough so that I could get some ideas, throw up a poll, and have my ten readers vote away!

    MK - Yeah, the 4 hours of sleep/day would be a good show for everyone except me. But I'm willing to suffer a little for my art. I'll add that and the craigslist one to my poll. Haha... pole.

    FF - So noted -- for the vegetarian one, not the sober one -- I wouldn't do well in a support group.

    Christie - I'll let the people decide. As for the other suggestion, I thought we were already in the middle of doing that?

  • Chris  
    December 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM

    Well, this might get you killed, arrested, or infected but I think you should approach a different homeless person every day and ask them if they can lend you a few quarters for bus fare. Make sure you do it right in front of the liquor store so they can openly mock your motives.

  • Em  
    December 11, 2008 at 10:24 AM

    Ooooh great idea! All of these are good ideas minus: daily haiku (I don't really get what is so exciting about haiku), No more than 4 hours of sleep (that would just be insane), and some kind of fast (boring). The rest are all good. I just finished a 30-day running streak (must run AT LEAST one continuous mile every day for 30 days). Try that.

  • AJ  
    December 11, 2008 at 11:02 AM

    If you go with some type of fast do the Master Cleanse.. hilarious the shit (literally) that comes out of you. On a sweeter note... do a "pay it forward" gesture every day, you don't have to have money to do that. A slightly more ridiculous idea would be to ACTUALLY HAVE SEX 30 days in a row. Some churches are having the married couples pledge to do that to spice up their love life. Interesting isn't it? lol

  • AJ  
    December 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM

    Uh oh... Christie is going to kill me for that last one ;-)!

  • Deutlich  
    December 11, 2008 at 3:24 PM

    I dig the idea of a daily photo. I'd say just take a picture of something you saw that day which got you thinkin.. which should also help in the blog fodder department.

  • Marcia  
    December 11, 2008 at 6:26 PM

    daily photo!!!!

  • Christina  
    December 11, 2008 at 8:27 PM

    The daily photo idea is good... I'd think it would be easier than finding something interesting to write about every day.

    BUT I'm gonna go for the lolz and challenge you to masturbate no LESS than once a day.

  • Christina  
    December 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM

    Oh, and may I add... though I may challenge you, truth is I really don't want to know about it.

  • captain corky  
    December 12, 2008 at 9:38 AM

    "No television"

    Fuck that noise! A day without television is a day that never was. I pretty much feel the same way about meat. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

  • Anonymous  
    December 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM

    I'm in support of the craigslist idea, either posting something free everyday with a full report of the freaks you meet, or posting the best ads you find each day for our viewing pleasure. I trust that you have magnetic power when it comes to freaks and wierdos. I also might like to see you live on 31 dollars for the next 31 days--report of how those 31 precious dollars are spent. Though that might not be hard enough for you. Cheapskate.

  • Crystal  
    December 21, 2008 at 5:20 PM

    i hope you used medium rare roast beef for oprah's labia.

Post a Comment