You're Doing it Wrong  

So I get a call today, from someone at work who I equally respect and dread receiving phone calls from. On one hand they have a vibrant personality, ruthless dependability, and a knowledge of their field that is at least six different kinds of freaky brilliant. Yet all that mental fortitude has apparently left absolutely zero head space remaining for computer literacy.

My involvement with this person's day-to-day work is practically nonexistent. However, after a chance encounter and some brief assistance with a PowerPoint presentation, I was hereafter dubbed their go-to guy for all things scary and unknown that have a keyboard plugged into them. I know I could refer them to IS when they call me, but I just can't bring myself to feign stupidity for what is always an extremely simple problem. Previous catastrophes include saving a copy of a document, downloading a picture from the Internet, and (no shitting) a monitor that was thought to be broken but whose VGA cable had simply been unplugged.

I'll give them a little credit this time, as today's issue was quite the doozy. Here's a loose transcript of my call; let's refer to the caller as Frank, because frankly, he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer:

Jay: Hey Frank, what can I do for you?

Frank: Haha. You knew it had to be a problem for me to call. Whenever I open up my email, I get someone else's instead.

Jay: Hmmm. This is on your computer?

Frank: Oh, no. It's Peggy's. I dropped in at her desk to check my email.

Jay: Uh-huh. And is it Peggy's email you're seeing?

Frank: Yeah. I closed Outlook and re-opened it several times, but I still only see hers.

Jay: Did you log Peggy off when you sat down at the computer?

Frank: I don't think so... how do I do that?

Jay: (Cleansing breath) I'll be right over.

You know, because computer technology has advanced to the point of instantly recognizing who you are and then automatically applying the appropriate credentials. Any PhD (like Frank) knows that.

Bookmark and Share

4 Reasons to Live

  • Ryan  
    October 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM

    Unofficial Computer helper Guy is an important position to have in the office. Without you, everyone would be stuck with default desktop wallpapers. If not for you nobody in your office would ever be able to find out "How do I find videos on the youtubes."

    Be proud!

  • Em  
    October 17, 2008 at 1:55 PM

    Haha... wow... that's bad. Some really smart people are kind of stupid sometimes. It's just how their brains work.

  • Ashley  
    October 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM

    WOW. That's all I can really say.

    But I'm guessing there will be some great technology in the future that will perplex me greatly. So I shouldn't make fun.

  • McLean  
    October 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM

    nice dude. nice. Also, what the hell is up with those tumblr pictures? What the hell is even happening in that shark picture?!?! KERAZY

Post a Comment